Best Falafel Shops in Israel
One of the distinctive assets of modern Israel. Falafel, can be described as Israel’s national food. A good portion of Falafel consists of 3 components: the Pita, the Falafel Balls, and the Salad. Pita is a sort of bread without yeast, which is baked in a flat, circular form, so that it can be sliced open to create an envelope, in which the other components are put. The Falafel balls are made of minced chick peas with different herbs and spices, which are fried to a crisp golden color in boiling oil. The salad for Falafel must – like every self-respecting Israeli salad – include at least tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce and onions. A Falafel portion can be made even tastier, by adding the correct amount of Tahina (Tahini) and a little hot spice, which is supplied free at the Falafel kiosks.
Falafel is the perfect meal – tasty, filling and cheap. There is a Falafel stall on nearly every corner in Israel.
Falafel shops are often hole-in-the-wall places, but if you see a line of locals waiting to be served, you know the food is good. Falafel is prepared on the spot virtually fresh for each customer. Watching the person preparing the falafel can be quite a show, as they shape the balls of falafel at lightning speed and plunge them into the fryer. Apart from the addition of hummus, pickles and sometimes French fries, falafel shops normally serve only the one dish – falafel!
Falafel is a common dish throughout the Middle East and now across the globe. Compared to other street food, falafel is a healthy fast food as well as being delicious. Falafel could be considered Israel’s national dish.
Here are the Top 5 of the best, according to mine and my tourist’s tastes:
- Falafel Hakosem – 2 locations in Tel Aviv. Address: 1 Shlomo Hamelech St. (Corner King George St.). And at Sarona Market. website
- Falafel Usul – in Rosh Pina – Upper Galilee. Address: at entrance to Rosh Pina, near Police station.
- Falafel Arafi – in Akko. Address: at the entrance to the market.
- Falafel Levy Brothers – in Jerusalem. Address: Makhne Yehuda Market.
- Falafel Hanasi – in Afulla. Address: 10 Hanasi Harishon St. youtube